When the smoke clears, you’ll be the last rider standing. The new KTM 250 XC-W is one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world of Enduro, pummeling it’s more complex 4-Stroke rivals. All muscle, no fat: this 2-stroke machine is as lean as it is powerful.
- ENGINE The engine of the 250 XC-W has been known and respected for being the most powerful 2-stroke engine in its class. It’s obvious that 2-Strokes have a future at KTM. Their outstanding power-to-weight ratio, low cost and simplicity make them a viable alternative to more complicated and expensive 4-Strokes. Putting our money where our mouth is, we gave the 250 XC-W engine an all new architecture with a new shaft arrangement for better mass centralization, a new cylinder with twin-valve controlled power valve, a new counterbalancer shaft for less engine vibrations, a new electric starter, a 6-speed wide-ratio transmission and a hydraulically operated DDS clutch. This compact powerplant truly outshines the competition with its ripping performance and is the right choice for lovers of low purchase and maintenance costs. Oh, and of course don’t forget that 2-stroke symphony when you’re on the pipe.
- CYLINDER The newly developed cylinder of the 250 XC-W, with a bore of 66.4mm, has all-new ports and is fitted with a revised power valve system. This system features a sophisticated mechanism for the lateral support exhaust ports, providing smooth and controllable power on tap. Furthermore, it’s possible to change the bike’s power character in seconds thanks to two supplied powervalve springs. Limitless settings for different tracks and preferences are up for grabs. Throw everything you have at it; new water jackets in the cylinder and head will take care of excess heat and reworked lateral cylinder head brackets allow a more efficient fixation of the engine to the frame via two lightweight headstays. This is a serious piece of kit.
- ENGINE CASES These all-new die-cast engine cases feature an 8mm higher clutch shaft and a 27mm higher crankshaft position, resulting in better mass centralization, which improves handling. In addition, it allows the implementation of a counter balance shaft. So your ride will be as relaxed as it is rapid. Plus, your new favorite engine will keep looking as fresh as the day you bought it - redesigned engine covers feature a smart surface structure in order to reduce the wear caused by the rider’s boots.
- COUNTER BALANCE SHAFT Say goodbye to numb feet and hands. The new engine design created room for a lateral counter balance shaft in order to reduce the vibration level drastically, with 50% less vibes in the handlebar and foot pegs. You know what that means: more comfort, less fatigue and more miles.
- TRANSMISSION This reworked 6-speed Enduro gearbox has the same gear ratios as its predecessor, but our engineers took a close look at the mechanism in order to provide you with more precise and easier shifting. An advanced ´No Dirt´ gear lever design prevents mud or dirt build-up in the joint. Because even dirt lovers hate mud when it’s in the wrong places.
- CLUTCH The 250 XC-W employs the KTM-developed DDS clutch (damped diaphragm steel) with a wear-free steel basket and extremely heat resistant clutch plates. This clever design employs a diaphragm spring instead of the usual coil springs, making for considerably easier clutch action. A diaphragm spring also leaves sufficient space for a damping system to be integrated into the clutch hub. The goal is traction, but durability is as well. A lighter basket, a reworked inner hub and a pressure plate providing better oil supply and unsurpassed cooling up the longevity of the DDS clutch. Light operation and telepathic amounts of control are standard with this hydraulic Brembo actuated clutch.
- CARBURETOR As of model year 2017, all KTM 2-stroke models are fitted with new MIKUNI TMX carburetors. These 38mm flat slide carbs provide smooth and controllable power all the way up to the limiter. And they’re less sensitive to altitudes and temperatures changes, so you can pin it wherever, whenever.
- ELECTRIC STARTER This 250 cc 2-stroke engine is equipped with a new electric starter, safely stowed away below the engine. Compared to its predecessor’s, its motor is less complex and much more reliable. And thanks to a powerful new lithium ion battery, this powerhouse will fire up quickly and reliably.
- CRANKSHAFT Its 72mm stroke is the same, the rest is brand new. The 250 XC-W’s crank has been rebalanced, revamped and set-up with a counter balance shaft to kill vibrations, not your vibe. Compared to the SX engine it has more inertia due to a heavier ignition rotor. This helps you feed in the power and provides maximum traction in places where others cannot.
- EXHAUST The engineers meticulously tuned the expansion chamber for maximum power. An advanced 3-D production process now guarantees higher precision manufacturing for a strong pipe that provides perfectly tuned power.
- WEIGHT REDUCTION The main target for the KTM engineers when developing the XC-W models was a massive weight reduction compared to the previous generation. The result: the current XC-W’s are the slimmest, lightest bikes in the enduro segment.
- FRAME The high-tech, lightweight chrome-moly steel frame is engineered for excellent handling, precise cornering and supreme stability. You can also count on high torsional rigidity and low longitudinal stiffness for better absorption of the energy created by the front and rear suspension sucking up jumps and bumps. In short: more comfort and less rider fatigue. Laterally attached, lightweight engine head stays contribute to a reduced vibration level. Two threaded inserts in the lower cradle tubes allow for an optional skid plate. The engineers were able to pull off all that, while making the frame two pounds lighter than that of the lightest competitor on the market. In addition, the frame is easier to maintain, easier to work on and supplies more space for the tank and other components. The bike also features an extra-light aluminum subframe, which weighs in at less than 2 pounds.
- FOOTPEGS Sophisticated “No Dirt” footpegs prevent jamming up of the pegs, even when digging in deep ruts. The pegs on the EXC models are 6mm higher than the ones used on SX models, which benefits ground clearance. But you can swap them at will.
- SWINGARM This updated design allows for an optimized mounting position of the PDS shock, providing more progressive action. Furthermore, the cast aluminum design guarantees lower weight and a perfect flex behavior. The single-component casting process also eliminates any inconsistencies and weak points.
- REAR SUSPENSION The WP XPlor PDS is a newly developed rear shock. The PDS, the KTM proven and successful progressive damping system is kind of a KTM trademark where the shock absorber is directly connected to the upper side of the swingarm. This set-up has now been reworked with the new frame and swingarm architecture in mind. It boasts the best possible mounting geometry, provides even more progressive damping and features an all-new body with a smaller piston and a larger reservoir. The piston diameter was reduced from 50 to 46mm for reduced weight, the total length is reduced by 2.5mm and the shock stroke has been reduced by 4mm. In addition, it is now mounted 5mm closer to the centerline, which means nearly symmetrical loads for the swingarm and frame and more space for the exhaust. A second piston works together with a closed cup (instead of a needle) towards the end of the stroke and is supported by a progressive shock spring for exceptional bottoming resistance. With this new design comes a weight savings of 1.4 pounds. Various machined and anodized components and a distinctive WP color trim make this a valuable, high-end product compared to the less refined shocks of the competition.
- FRONT SUSPENSION The all-new WP XPlor 48 upside-down fork is a split fork developed by WP in close collaboration with KTM. It is fitted with a spring on both sides but features separated functions for each fork leg: compression damping is fitted on the left side, while rebound is on the right. So the forks can easily be adjusted for compression and rebound with the twist of a dial on the top of the forks. In addition, a longer and sealed hydro-stop guarantees better resistance to bottoming-out. Due to high-quality materials and a state-of-the-art production process, the new XPlor 48 fork - with approx. 300mm of travel - has outstanding response and damping characteristics and is about a half of a pound lighter than its predecessor.
- BRAKES You can’t brake any harder, better, faster or stronger. High-tech Brembo calipers are combined with lightweight wave discs and feature a reduced piston diameter for better modulation. The rear brake now features a 10mm longer brake pedal, and less aggressive brake pads are fitted front and rear. The steel-flex front brake hose gets more efficient protection and there’s an integrated channel for the speedo cable. First you outrun them, then you outbrake them.
- HANDLEBARS KTM engineers know how to handle handlebars. This tapered unit, made of high-strength aluminum by NEKEN, features a newly developed throttle assembly with a robust aluminum body and easy free-play adjustment. An ODI volcanized grip sits on the right, while on the left side of the bar a comfortable ODI lock-on grip requires no glue or wire to secure it.
- TRIPLE CLAMPS The new generation is fitted with forged triple clamps with an offset of 22mm, ensuring a solid grip of the fork and precise handling. The handlebar is adjustable forwards and backwards over 4 positions, so the XC-W will fit you like your favorite gloves.
- BODYWORK KTM R&D, Kiska Design and the factory racers had their say in shaping the plastics with one goal: complete harmony between rider and bike. Perfect ergonomics and contact points provide maximum comfort in movement on the XC-W. The I-beam structures of the front and rear fenders guarantee maximum stability and a low weight thanks to well thought-out construction and mounting. They also stay cleaner for longer. Cleaver brake hose routing on the front number plate prevents wear and tear.
- GRAPHICS New graphics convey the true READY TO RACE character of the 2017 XC-W model line.
QUALITY AND COMFORT
- AIRBOX The airbox design, featuring new snorkels, offers maximum protection of the air filter against soiling, while ensuring maximum airflow in a quiet way. The new, large Twin Air filter is mounted in a stiff cage, which at the same time holds the system in place. This design is so simple, you can pop a fresh one in with a face full of mud - without tools and in seconds.
- FUEL TANK The lightweight polyethylene tank has a capacity of 2.5 gallons. You will always be able to see how much fuel remains at a glance, thanks to the see-through plastic. By pushing the orange release button in the center of the filler cap, the bayonet mechanism makes refueling quick and easy.
- WHEELS The XC-W’s wheels feature lightweight, CNC machined hubs and high-end Giant rims guaranteeing maximum stability at minimum weight. The wheels are fitted with the latest Maxxis tires. The rear tire features a reworked profile and internal structure for better grip under wet conditions and is more resilient to punctures. Take them wherever you like, traction will be there.
- COOLING SYSTEM KTM’s proven cooling system routes the coolant from the cylinder head through the frame triangle, directly to aluminum radiators made by WP. A new filler cap system and are stiffer alloy construction increase the durability and reliability of the cooling system. Due to flow optimized internal circulation and CFD-calculated air ventilation, the system is superbly efficient. In addition, well thought-out radiator guards integrated in the front part of the shrouds provide protection in a crash.
- SEAT Tailored to meet the needs of the best off-road racers, this durable seat offers great comfort, while being 10mm lower to help you master the most challenging terrain.
- BATTERY & WIRING HARNESS This new engines is fitted with KTM’s proven electric starter – a unique KTM feature and a major benefit at all levels of racing. A super compact 495g lithium ion starter battery breathes life into the engine, shaving off two pounds of excess weight while offering three times the starting energy of a conventional battery. The battery and wiring harness are centralized in a compartment above the airbox, allowing the mechanic to remove the subframe without having to remove the electronics. A happy mechanic is a good mechanic.
All inventory listed is subject to availability and prior sale. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) if shown for a vehicle excludes set-up, freight, taxes, title, licensing or other dealer charges, and is subject to change. Individual prices may vary. Please request a quote for specific pricing.